A new year is upon us and you know what that means?? Oooh yeah reading challenges!!!!! Ahhh who doesn’t love the promise of panic towards the end of the reading year when you are cramming books to meet those challenge deadlines? Can you tell I totally did that last year? Haha…I seriously do love this time of year where I get to pick my reading challenges for the new year and anticipate my reading. Last year (2017) was the first year I did the challenges properly i.e tracking and documenting the books and reviewing most of them and I loved it!
Here are the challenges I’m participating in this year…..Very exciting
1) Good Reads Reading Challenge 2018 – Hosted by Goodreads.com
2) Historical Fiction Reading Challenge 2018 – Hosted by Passagestothepast.com
3) Try Something New Challenge 2018 – Hosted by Herdingcats-burningsoup.com
4) Blogger Shame Challenge 2018 – Hosted by Herdingcats-burningsoup.com
5) Literary Pickers Reading Challenge 2018 Hosted by Delightedreader.com
6) Library Love Challenge 2018 Hosted by Angelsguiltypleasures.com
7) Read Harder Reading Challenge 2018 – Hosted by Bookriot.com
8 ) Oldie but a Goodie Reading Challenge 2018- Hosted by Addictedtoromance.org
9) Out Of This World Reading Challenge 2018- Hosted by Addictedtoromance.org
10) Netgalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2018 – Hosted by Bookishthingsandmore.com
Good Reads Reading Challenge 2018
I have decided to aim for 60 books overall.
Here’s what I have read so far:
1) The Trouble with True Love – Laura Lee Gurhke
Historical Fiction Reading Challenge 2018
I’ve been wanting to do a historical genre reading challenge for some time as I really wanted to challenge myself to read some historical mysteries that are becoming popular, especially those written by authors from the romance genre.
I’m aiming for the “Ancient History – 25 books”.
1) The Trouble With True Love – Laura Lee Gurhke
Try Something New Challenge 2018
I haven’t read a Steampunk romance before and have been thinking of trying this but never got around to it. I’m aiming for Level 1 which is 1-10 books. I’m just aiming to read 2 books just to test the waters of this genre.
Blogger Shame Reading Challenge 2018
Yeap definitely need to get onto some reviews on my NetGalley TBR pile! I haven’t even read some of the books, so this will definitely motivate me to get some books read and reviewed I’ll be aiming to finish 10 books that need to be reviewed.
Literary Pickers Reading Challenge 2018
This is such a fun challenge! I love the idea of a scavenger hunt of items/places within the books!I have decided to aim for Level 2: 25 items/25 places but also going to try to find extras if I can! I’ll never be able to manage 100 books per year (that would be a dream!) so I’ll just try my best to achieve my original aim first and keep going
Around the House
Dust or Cobwebs
Grandmother’s China/any dishes past down
Pots and Pans
Around the World
It Goes Zoom Zoom
Carri ageThe Trouble With True Love by Laura Lee Ghurke
Shuttle/small space ship
Elements to Factor
Friends to lovers/Bestfriend
Love at First Sight
Arranged Marriage/Marriage of Convenience
Gender bender/Role Reversal
Enemies to Lovers
Secret baby/accidental baby
Another dimension/fantasy world
First time author/narrator
On your TBR stack for more than a Year
Blizzard or Polar Region
Saute it (veggie or meat)
Fresh Catch (fish/seafood)
Specialty Tea or Coffee
Tools of the Trade
OvenTempest by Beverly Jenkins
A number in the title
A season in the title
No face/hidden features
Just a guy
Just a gal
A paranormal or sci-fi element
Library Love Challenge 2018
This is great! I borrow loads of ebooks from libraries to save money. I love the idea of libraries. Where else can you have so much knowledge and reading pleasures for free?! I wanted to keep borrowing my ebooks and document how many I actually borrow from the library! The goal (as dictated by the challenge) is to read 12 books from the library!
Read Harder Challenge 2018
This was such an amazing challenge to participate in last year…It made me read a few books I’ve been wanting to read for ages but just never prioritized them and also made me discover new authors! This
was also a challenge I didn’t think I would prioritize and finish but I did and I was REALLY proud of my achievement, so I’m challenging myself again this year!
- A book published posthumously
- A book of true crime
- A classic of genre fiction (i.e. mystery, sci fi/fantasy, romance)
- A comic written and illustrated by the same person
- A book set in or about one of the five BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, or South Africa)
- A book about nature
- A western
- A comic written or illustrated by a person of color
- A book of colonial or postcolonial literature
- A romance novel by or about a person of color
- A children’s classic published before 1980
- A celebrity memoir
- An Oprah Book Club selection
- A book of social science
- A one-sitting book
- The first book in a new-to-you YA or middle grade series
- A sci fi novel with a female protagonist by a female author
- A comic that isn’t published by Marvel, DC, or Image
- A book of genre fiction in translation
- A book with a cover you hate
- A mystery by a person of color or LGBTQ+ author
- An essay anthology
- A book with a female protagonist over the age of 60
- An assigned book you hated (or never finished)
Oldie but a Goodie Reading Challenge 2018
I love this challenge because it makes me pick up books that are lounging around my TBR pile just begging to be read! I was hoping to get 10 books read last year but only managed 5…this year I will aim for 5 “The Newbie Looking For Swoon Worthy Adventure”, as it’s more realistic especially with all the other challenges I have to do!
Out of This World Reading Challenge 2018
I loveeee Sci-fiction and futuristic romance! I always go through a phase where I miss reading them and have to read all of them in a row! Think Dara Joy, Ruby Dixon, Susan Kearney, Robin D. Owens….Yeap so many good books! Aiming for 5 reads “Beam Your Way Into Outer Space” level.
Netgalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2018
This challenge is sooo great… I surpassed my original aim last year and read 34 books last year! I will still aim for “Bronze – 10 Books” this year as I’m not sure how I’m going to go with the other challenges…so anything above this is a bonus!
I’m a Reading Challenges Addict!
I have entered 10 Reading Challenges for 2018 and hopefully will finish them all…Yeah I thought I was insane last year but surely have totally lost it this year haha….
So my aim is to complete my challenges and the level I’m going for is “On the Roof: 6-10 Challenges (Entered)
So that’s it for 2018! Good luck if you are doing challenges yourself and looking forward to hearing all about them and the great books you discover
Edited: 1st January 2018